Sunday, October 23, 2011

Imperial Moth

Imperial Moth, Eacles imperialis


Imperial Moth, Eacles imperialis
Imperial Moth, Eacles imperialis
Imperial Moth, Eacles imperialis
This awesomely beautiful moth was near a neighbor's front door one morning. What a treat!  Probably he had been attracted to and confused by her porch light.   Before I touched the neighbor's door, of course I had to go grab my camera.  This was a male Imperial Moth and the first of its kind I'd ever seen.  If it were a female, the wings would have had more yellow and fewer dark patches.  These moths are dimorphic which means there are two forms - one for male, one for female.   Adult Imperial Moths do not feed - their job is reproduction. Their larval host foods include oak, sweet gum, sassafras, maple and cedar.

My camera's clicking disturbed the moth and he dropped to the brick floor with a plop.  There he was in danger of being trod upon.  I gently offered my hand and he clung readily to my fingers.  I carefully transported him to a brick window ledge where he'd be sheltered during the day.  He rested on that ledge until sunset, when he vanished, off to take care of Imperial Moth business.

No comments: